Ice Hockey

CHA merges with AHA to form Atlantic Hockey America

Henry Zhang | Contributing Photographer

The CHA, the home of Syracuse ice hockey announced Tuesday it will merge with the AHA to form the Atlantic Hockey America conference.

College Hockey America, Syracuse ice hockey’s conference since its inaugural season in 2008-09, announced Tuesday that it will compete jointly with the Atlantic Hockey Association for the 2024-25 season. The new league will be branded as Atlantic Hockey America.

The Atlantic Hockey Association has been a staple of Division I men’s ice hockey since 2003. The CHA is made up of six D-I women’s ice hockey teams and plans to expand to seven with the addition of Delaware ahead of the 2025-26 season.

The two leagues have shared administrative operations since 2010 but have competed as two separate entities, according to the release. Now, both will join together as one entity.

The Atlantic Hockey Association featured 11 schools for men’s ice hockey including Air Force, AIC, Army West Point, Bentley, Canisius, Holy Cross, Mercyhurst, Niagara, RIT, Robert Morris and Sacred Heart. The CHA featured Lindenwood, Mercyhurst, Penn State, RIT, Robert Morris and Syracuse.

The Orange won the CHA Tournament title in 2018-19 and 2021-22. In 2023-24, SU missed the conference tournament for the first time in program history.